- Redemption of returned checks must be made by any legal tender other than a personal check. Payments must be made in the Bursar and Treasury Services, 105 Business Services Building.
- Any non-employee who has had three or more checks returned to the University may not be permitted to make a payment to any University unit by personal check and may be denied further check cashing privileges.
- A service charge of $30.00 will be added for each returned check paper or webcheck (also known as ACH payment or electronic check) caused by negligence on the part of the maker. Example: $2,000 check presented to UGA and returned for insufficient funds could carry a $100 returned item fee. Please make sure you have the funds in your account before making payment using your checking or savings account.
- Students with unresolved returned checks will have their records flagged. A flag prevents future registration and blocks receipt of official University transcripts. The flag will not be removed until the returned check and applicable service charge are paid in full.
- Any student who has not paid for a returned tuition check and service charge prior to the established deadline, may have his registration irreversibly canceled for the applicable term.
- Employees that have returned checks will be notified either through their department or with a statement mailed via campus mail (where applicable). A service charge of 5% or $30, whichever is greater, will be added to all returned items. Within 10 to 30 days of the item being returned to the University of Georgia, unpaid returned checks and all service charges are subject to payroll deduction per Board of Regents policy 8.2.14. After 3 returned checks, the employee is no longer allowed to write checks for any University related charges and could be subject to termination.