Sponsored Billing (Third Party Payments)
Some employers and agencies assist students with their educational costs. With the proper documentation (see billing authorization requirements below), the University of Georgia will bill an outside organization (sponsor) for a student’s tuition, fees, room and board, or other charges on the student account system. In order for the University of Georgia to set up the billing with a third party, please do the following:
- Contact us before the semester begins to let us know you are a sponsored student. A billing authorization from your sponsor should be received at least one week prior to the payment deadline. If we do not have your authorization on file by the deadline, we cannot guarantee that your classes will not be dropped for non-payment.
- Pay any charges not covered by your sponsor by the payment deadline to avoid schedule cancellation.
Billing Authorization Requirements:
We must have a billing authorization from your sponsor on file. An authorization letter or voucher must be on your sponsor’s letterhead, including the original signature of an official authorized to obligate payment by the company/organization.
The University of Georgia requires authorization from your sponsor in order to establish a billing contract to bill your sponsor directly for payment of your student account charges. This billing authorization must:
- Be written in English under the sponsor’s official letterhead.
- Contain no restrictions or contingencies (for example, if the sponsor requires grades or transcripts prior to payment, the transaction does not qualify as Sponsored Billing, so the student is responsible for payment by the billing due date and then must seek reimbursement from the sponsor);
- The authorization letter or voucher must itemize the type of fees and charges the sponsor will be responsible for, such as tuition, housing, meal plan, mandatory fees, health insurance, course and lab fees, etc.
- Stipulate the exact begin and end dates of the period for which the sponsor will pay the student’s charges (note: if the sponsor wishes to continue payment after the end date, the sponsor must submit a new Authorization). The voucher will only be valid for one academic year. Your sponsor must submit a voucher each academic year in order to continue the authorization process.
- Indicate the student’s full name and UGAID.
- Indicate the name, billing address, telephone number, and email address of the contact person at the company/organization responsible for payment.
Upon receipt of a valid billing authorization, Student Account Services will apply a conditional credit to the sponsored student’s account, then bill the sponsor after the drop and add period. Students whose sponsor has not authorized full payment of all tuition and fees are responsible for paying all remaining charges by charges the payment deadline.
Students whose sponsor fails to pay the authorized charges within 60 days from when they are billed will have their conditional credit reversed and be billed for the unpaid charges. A financial hold may be placed on the student’s account until the balance is paid in full. Students are encouraged to remain in contact with their sponsor until the terms of the billing authorization have been met.
Billing Authorizations should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to the following address:
University of Georgia
110 Business Services Building
424 East Broad Street
Athens, GA 30602-4227